Always Know What's Being Said About Your Brand
People could be discussing your brand online (maybe right now!) and you might not even know it. You might even be missing important news, events, or changes in your industry that could affect how you do business. Staying on top of the latest news and updates is not only important, but also extremely easy using Google Alerts.
What is Google Alerts?
Google Alerts is a notification service that sends email updates to users depending on what they choose to follow. This service replaces the need to repeatedly search for a certain topic to learn about updates. Instead, Google Alerts will keep you informed by pulling new content and alerting you about it automatically. By receiving important updates as they are released, it can easily be used to leverage yourself ahead of the competition.
Setting Up Google Alerts
Getting started with Google Alerts is easy and you don’t even need a Gmail account. Follow this guide to get setup with Google Alerts:
- Go to the Google Alerts homepage.
- Fill out the form for what you want to monitor. I recommend adding searches for your brand name, specific products, type of industry, and important names of people in the company. You can go even further by adding important keywords that you may be using.
- Click ‘More options.’ Choose how often you want Google Alerts to send updates and the sources you want it to pull content from (blogs, news, web, video, discussions).
- Now enter in the email you want your alerts sent to.
- Go to your email and verify your new alert.
You’re done! Google will now send automatic updates of new content. See what people are discussing and use this to create content that people are looking for. Find out about negative PR and address it immediately. Learn what the competition is doing and adapt your own business to the changing environment. Use all of this information to your advantage and monitor your alert topics. Knowledge is power!